ICLEA Spring Meeting Agenda – DRAFT
Tues. April 23rd 2019 – 9:00 am
Location SIU School of Medicine – Springfield, IL
- 1. Call to order – Dale Newsome 9:15am
- 2. Pledge of Allegiance
- 3. Introduction of Board Members
- President Dale Newsome (Director of Security and Safety Olivet Nazarene University)
Vice-President Aaron Woodruff (Chief of Police Illinois State University)
Treasurer Chris Ballard (Director of Public Safety and Police Chief Millikin University)
Secretary James Montanari (Chief of Police Lewis University)
Past President Pat O’Connor (Chief of Police Moraine Valley Community College)
- 4. Introduction of Members Present
- 5. Minutes of Last Meeting – Jim Montanari
- Motion to approve- First Pete Commanda/ Second Greg Damarin
- 6. Treasures’ Report – Chris Ballard
- Motion to approve- First Greg Damarin/ Second Brian Joschko
- 7. President’s Report –Dale Newsome
- Pending retirement- Jim Montanari at end of June- agrees to finish term
Next meeting locations? North- TBD October 2019? / South SWIC-Belleville April 2020?
Feasibility of using “GoTo Meeting” – Chris Ballard assessing
Incorporating/sponsoring training – contemporary issues?
Presentations from ICLEA members – our own subject matter experts?
- 8. Vice-President’s Report- Aaron Woodruff
- Will deliver legislative update
- 9. JTTF Representative – Chris Ballard
- Joe Drought possibly retiring soon. Discussion regarding a new representative from ICLEA.
- 10. FBI Liaison- Springfield Office No report
- 11. STIC Update- Mia Langheim
- Recent FBI Bulletin topics/ cyber-security awareness/ copy-cat behavior observations/ emerging female involvement/ threat trending in IL/ contagion effect and suicide/ employee training suggestions- suspicious behavior reporting
- 12. Legislative Update- Aaron Woodruff
- Pending legislation that will impact college and universities
Governor pushing legalization of cannabis- the bill is over 300 pages. Multiple law enforcement issues still unaddressed. ILACP lobbying to slow it down and have a more thorough review.
(With so many pieces of pending legislation and ongoing negotiations- the best method to stay up to date is to monitor the ILACP website. Meeting minutes regarding legislation is often stale within weeks. The ILACP website is the most current reference.)
Discussion regarding “Criminal Arrest College Admission Inquires”- next steps.
The current legislation may be dormant after several sponsors backed out after negative media coverage and revelations about how institutions actually fairly process admissions.
- 13. Presentation- SEVP Field Rep. Saskia Hoffman and Special Agent Lina Tor
- ICE-DHS Student and Exchange Visitor Program
Management of F-1 and M-1 Visa status.
Separate e-mail with resource info to be sent out.
- 14. New Business –
- Next ICLEA elections- Spring 2020
- 15. Unfinished Business – General
- FYI – Sunbelt Rentals has camera booms that can be rented for special events
KCC Eric Springer explained their use of a forensic psychologist for student assessment
MBI Brian Stoffer spoke about seeing alternative suicide methods in Chicago
- 16. Adjournment
- Motion to adjourn- First Pete Commanda/ Second Greg Damarin
THANK YOU TO CHIEF GREG DAMARIN SIU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE FOR PROVIDING LUNCH!
By: James Montanari