ICLEA Meeting Minutes
Tues. October 15rd 2019 – 9:00 am
Location North Central College – Naperville, IL
- 1. Call to order – Dale Newsome 9:05am
- 2. Pledge of Allegiance
- 3. Introduction of Board Members
- President Dale Newsome (Director of Security and Safety Olivet Nazarene University)
Vice-President Aaron Woodruff (Chief of Police Illinois State University)
Treasurer Chris Ballard (Director of Public Safety and Police Chief Millikin University)
Secretary James Montanari (Chief of Police Lewis University)
Past President Pat O’Connor (Chief of Police Moraine Valley Community
- 4. Introduction of Members Present
- 5. Minutes of Last Meeting 04/23/19 – Jim Montanari
- Motion to approve- First Pat O’Connor / Second Chris Ballard
- 6. Treasures’ Report – Chris Ballard
- Motion to approve- First Pat O’Connor / Second Greg Damarin
- 7. President’s Report –Dale Newsome
- Seeking an interim Secretary prior to next election – transition from Secretary Jim Montanari
Service awards presented to retiring members Pat O’Connor and Jim Montanari
(Both Pat and Jim have been long time ICLEA members- Pat has previously served two terms as President along with one term as Past-President. Jim has served as Secretary for two terms.)
Discussion- presentations at future meetings? Ideas and volunteers?
Suggestion- The host site Chief/Director presents issues and department update at meeting?
- 8. Vice-President’s Report- Aaron Woodruff
- 9. STIC- Mia Ray
- School safety tip reporting protocols
Threat updates and recent trends
Social Media monitoring challenges
Video game violent representations
Cyber Security preparedness and coordination
- 10. JTTF- Chris Ballard
- Cyber security threats, trends and proactive actions
Internal agency coordination of technology, risk management/legal and law enforcement
Defense of current grant funding levels
- 11. FBI Liaison- Agent Laura Miller contacted Jim Montanari advising that she was sick and would not be attending. Doug Lindsey became unavailable due to reassignment to a field operation.
- 12. Break for lunch
- 13. Legislative update- Pat O’Connor and Aaron Woodruff
- Cannabis FAQ on the ILACP website
Recommend reviewing cannabis related policies with HR- especially employee testing
Recommend knowing your State Representative and Senator- providing accurate information
(With so many pieces of pending legislation and ongoing negotiations- the best method to stay up-to-date is to monitor the ILACP website. Meeting minutes regarding legislation is often stale within weeks, sometimes days. The ILACP website is the most current reference.)
- 14. New Business
- Today is the trial run use of the GO TO MEETING program. Several members showing signed in.
ICLEA Board elections at next meeting- Sothwestern Illinois College-Belleville April 2020
Talk to a current Board Member if you are interested! More info in the Spring.
Discussion- Behavioral Intervention Team member roles- challenges and potential conflicts
Emerging issue- Title IV and High School students taking classes on-site with college/university students. Establishing investigative protocols. Involvement of certified juvenile police officer?
- 15. Old Business
- Pat O’Connor expressed his thanks to our members that assisted him over the years, the benefits of outreach/information sharing and encouraged involvement in ICLEA.
Jim Montanari mirrored those comments.
- 16. Adjournment
- Motion to adjourn- First Pat O’Connor / Second Eric Springer
By: James Montanari